Learning Labs are a training series consisting of six module cohort-based sessions that provides a deeper dive into a specific Key Area of Nonprofit Excellence, where knowledge gained from workshops can be applied to improve management performance. Through these hands-on modules, NPCC provides a comprehensive and impactful program that benefits both nonprofit leaders and the organizations they serve. Program participants, who tend to be their organization’s “accidental experts” in a given area, leave the series equipped with practical strategies and individualized tools that they then use in their day-to-day work to improve their organization’s practices and an expanded network of peers in their field.
NPCC members and non-members are welcome to apply. Each module will consist of a cohort of 40 individuals who will be selected from the initial pool of applicants. We strongly encourage that two team members from your organization participate, as we believe it will allow for a much more fruitful experience for your organization.
Diversity, Equity, and & Inclusion
Many nonprofits exist to address the ongoing consequences of systematic oppression and inequitable social and institutional practices. A focus on Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion (DEI) fosters a management culture that embraces different perspectives, resulting in stronger programs, comprehensive strategies, and the ability to better mitigate risks. But, where do nonprofits begin?
Apply for our first-ever DEI Learning Lab this fall. We're offering this series in response to the critical need for nonprofit leaders to internalize DEI as an organizational priority. In order to help nonprofit leaders move beyond a surface-level understanding of DEI, this Learning Lab tackles the challenging conversations needed to guide DEI efforts, and hold individuals and organizations accountable.
This Learning Lab is intended for nonprofit staff with basic to intermediate expertise in DEI, including executives, board members, program staff, human resources, and operations staff. Organizations of all sizes are encouraged to apply for the DEI Learning Lab.
- Session 1 – An Overview of DEI: Making Sense of DEI as a Management Practice
- Session 2 – Developing a Shared Language and Definitions
- Session 3 – DEI as an Ongoing Process: How to Say We're Not "There" Yet
- Session 4 – A Deep Dive into Equity and Inclusion
- Session 5 – Building Diverse Leadership Pipelines
- Session 6 – Becoming an Effective Change Maker Around DEI
The application window for the Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion Learning Lab has closed./p>
This training is intended for individuals in your organization with basic to intermediate expertise in budgeting. This includes different stakeholders involved with creating, tracking, and/or managing budgets (for instance, EDs, Program Managers, development staff, board members, and administrators).
This Learning Lab is sponsored by JPMorgan Chase & Co. Because of their generous support, we are able to offer a 25 percent discount for each Learning Lab attendee!
- Session 1 Mapping out your budget process
- Session 2 Understanding indicators of financial health
- Session 3 Storytelling through financials
- Session 4 Tracking and monitoring financial results
- Session 5 Financial planning and risk management
- Session 6 Cultivating a culture of financial management
The application window for the Financial Management Learning Lab has closed.
Thursday, April 26, 2018 - Monday, June 18, 2018
This training is intended for individuals at your organization with basic to intermediate expertise in the area who manage governance structure, impact board strategy, and/or carry out governance implementation.
- Session 1 - Structure and Oversight
- Session 2 - Diversifying Board Cultivation and Recruitment
- Session 3 - Board Retention and Value
- Session 4 - Fundraising and Ambassadorship
- Session 5 - Evaluating Performance
- Session 6 - Planning for the Future
Application opens Wednesday March 14, 2018. Application deadline is Monday, April 2, 2018 at 5:00 pm. Acceptance notifications will be sent out by April 9, 2018.
Thursday, July 27, 2017 - Thursday, October 12, 2017
This training is intended for individuals at your organization with basic to intermediate expertise in the area who manage communications, impact communications strategy, and/or carry out communications implementation.
- Session 1 – Communicating Your Organization Identity through Your Brand
- Session 2 – Intentional & Effective Communications Planning
- Session 3 – Storytelling and Story Gathering
- Session 4 – Tracking Effectiveness of Communications
- Session 5 – Building Compelling Campaigns
- Session 6 – Fostering Internal Communications Within Teams
Application deadline is Friday, July 7, 2017 at 5:00pm. Acceptance notifications will be sent out by July 12. Click here to apply. Application is now closed.
Fundraising & Resource Development
Thursday, May 11, 2017 - Tuesday, August 1, 2017
This training is intended for individuals at your organization with basic to intermediate expertise in the area who manage fundraising and resource development, impact fundraising strategy, and/or carry out fundraising and resource development implementation.
- Session 1 – Making the Case for Your Nonprofit
- Session 2 – Responsible Fundraising & Resource Development
- Session 3 – Inclusive & Holistic Fundraising
- Session 4 – Intentional and Sustainable Fundraising
- Session 5 – Resource Development Communication
- Session 6 – Culture of Philanthropy
Application deadline is April 19, 2017 at 5:00pm. Acceptance notifications will be sent out by April 27. Click here to apply. Application is now closed.
Results & Impact
This training is intended for individuals at your organization with basic to intermediate expertise in the area who manage data management and outcomes strategy, and/or carry out monitor and evaluation implementation.
- Session 1 - Why Evaluate & How to Approach It
- Session 2 - Logic Models: What, Why, and How
- Session 3 - Data Collection and Compilation
- Session 4 - What do the Data Say? Turning Numbers into Action
- Session 5 - Reporting and Storytelling
- Session 6 – Cultivating a Culture of Managing for Results & Impact
Questions about our Learning Labs? Contact Education & Training Manager Aaron Covarrubias at 646-893-2441 or [email protected]