How To Apply
This application is designed to give considerable flexibility for your organization to tell its management story. In formulating responses, bear in mind that the awards competition focuses on management (including program management), as opposed to program content. Discussion of program content should be limited, and should enhance the explanation of your management practices.
For instance, "We changed our methods for serving clients at our food bank to allow them to make their choices online and schedule their pick up time, thus enabling our organization to serve more people more efficiently, with less waste," is an example of using program information to explain an excellent management practice.
It is also expected that applications will reflect management results, not only process. What has improved in your organization's operations or progress toward achieving its mission as a result of this exemplary management practice?
Online submissions are required. Each organization must register to receive confidential online access to the application system. Each organization should register only once, and only one username and password per organization is permitted. The online application has been built so that you may begin work and save your responses to continue work at a later time. Responses to the application questions can also be written offline and then pasted into the online application. Responses are limited to 5,000 characters (including spaces) per question.
In addition to your responses to the application questions, you must submit additional supporting information. Supporting documents must be uploaded online with the application. If you are not able to upload all of your supporting documents, please email them under a separate cover to [email protected] with a note indicating that you submitted the rest of the application online. Applications missing required documents will not be considered.
Please do not send books, videotapes, manuscripts or other unrequested materials. These materials will not be reviewed or returned.
IMPORTANT: Applications missing any of these documents will NOT be forwarded to the Selection Committee for consideration.
- Completed cover page.
- Completed application readiness assessment.
- Completed Application (responses to questions).
- Completed Application checklist.
- If your organization is required to obtain an annual audit, Include most recent audited financial statement, including any management letter or other formal communications from your auditor. If this letter reflects any material deficiencies, provide a copy of your response to this letter sent to the auditor.
- NY State nonprofits with revenues above $500,000 (other than religious congregations) that solicit funds from the public are required to have an annual audit.
- Organizations with revenues between $250,000 and $500,000 are required to have an annual independent accountant's review report and financial statements with accompanying notes.
- Organizations with revenues below $250,000 should submit the most recent internal financial statement.
- If your most recent audit (or financial review) covers a period that ended prior to February 28, 2017, provide an interim financial statement (statement of income and expenses and balance sheet) covering the period through February 28, 2017.
- Copy of your budget for the current fiscal year.
- Copy of the most recent IRS Form 990, including all schedules
- Organizations with revenues above $200,000 or total assets greater than $500,000 must file Form 990. Private Foundations must file Form 990-PF.
- Organizations with revenues between $50,000 and $200,000 and total assets less than $500,000 must file Form 990-EZ (but may choose to file a Form 990).
- Organizations with revenues below $50,000 must file Form 990-N (but may choose to file a Form 990 or Form 990-EZ).
- IRS 501(c)(3) determination letter.
- A list of your Board of Directors and their organization affiliations (download and complete the excel form here).
- Organizational chart.
Contact Joseph Taylor, Awards Program Manager, at [email protected] or 212-502-4191 x 238.
The 2016 Awards application is now closed.