Program Manager, Community Development
|Job Category:||Policy/Advocacy, Programs/Services|
|Job Sectors:||Community Improvement|
Title: Program Manager, Community Development
Location: 50 East 168th Street, Bronx NY 10452
Reports to: Vice President, Community Development
The Women’s Housing and Economic Development Corporation (WHEDco) is a community development organization founded on the radically simple idea that all people deserve healthy, vibrant communities. We build award-winning, sustainable, affordable homes – but our work is not over when our buildings are complete. WHEDco believes that to be successful, affordable housing must be anchored in strong communities that residents can be proud of. WHEDco’s mission is to give the South Bronx access to all the resources that create thriving neighborhoods – from high-quality early education and after-school programs, to fresh, healthy food, cultural programming, and economic opportunity. See www.whedco.org for more information.
WHEDco seeks an innovative Program Manager to join its Community Development Department. The Community Development Department engages in neighborhood planning, commercial revitalization, expansion of green, mixed-use developments, and creative place-affirming initiatives to build exciting, innovative spaces and communities where people, arts, and the economy thrive.
The Program Manager will help coordinate WHEDco’s efforts on neighborhood revitalization in the communities surrounding WHEDco’s buildings. S/he will likely focus on the Melrose-Morrisania area, where WHEDco is building Bronx Commons—a mixed use, creative economy-supporting affordable development that will realize the community’s hard-won vision for the Urban Renewal Area. Primary responsibilities include:
Community Organizing: Deepen understanding of the socio-economic conditions that have shaped the area. Attend local meetings, build partnerships, and become well-versed in local history and the built environment. Engage youth, adults and seniors in identifying assets and responding to needs they have identified to improve community conditions. Build the skills of community leaders to advocate for and drive positive change for area residents. Apply different models of organizing. Represent the organization in planning and policy meetings to encourage the inclusion of community priorities.
Neighborhood Arts Coordination: Collaborate with community members and local partners to implement cultural events and place-affirming initiatives that strengthen community connections, deliver helpful information and resources, support local businesses, increase safety, affirm the area’s diversity and history, and integrate with WHEDco’s Bronx Music Hall under construction. Engage elected officials, local businesses and places of worship.
Commercial Revitalization: Track neighborhood changes in land and business use. Build relationships with merchants and property owners, link them to business-supporting resources, and engage them in creating a safer, cleaner, more vibrant area. Create marketing materials and conduct outreach in print, via social media and other means to carry out initiatives. Manage key relations with funders, track progress toward goals, and fulfill fiscal and administrative tasks to meet program goals.
• Bachelor’s degree in Urban Affairs, Economic Development, Organizing, the Arts or a related field.
• At least 1-2 years of relevant experience, in two or more of the following activities: organizing, advocacy/policy, arts and culture, urban planning, business, health, or real estate.
• Skilled in MS Office required.
• Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, PhotoShop, InDesign), website development and/or GIS skills a plus.
• Familiarity with Bronx neighborhoods preferred.
• Working knowledge of organizing principles and community development in underserved areas.
• Motivated, creative, and resourceful self-starter who takes initiative and works well with minimal oversight.
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills for reporting and presentations.
• Collaborative team player with sense of humor, excellent interpersonal skills, and good judgment.
• Committed to engaging diverse constituents in underserved communities.
• Available for events and/or meetings in the evening and on weekends, as necessary.
• Willingness and ability to go out into the surrounding communities to visit and engage with residents, businesses and other constituents, which may require climbing stairs and using public transit.
• Proficiency in Spanish required. Arabic, Asian and/or African languages a plus.
• Interest in the arts, community advocacy and community safety desired.
Excellent benefits and competitive salary based on experience.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to [email protected]
WHEDco affords all qualified applicants equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, creed (religion), color, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, age, disability, predisposing genetic characteristic, marital status or domestic violence victim status, or any other category protected by law. WHEDco follows the requirements of the New York Human Rights Law with regard to non-discrimination on the basis of prior criminal conviction and prior arrest.
Women’s Housing and Economic Development Corporation
- 50 East 168th Street
- Bronx, NY 10452
- United States
- Phone: 7188391100
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com