Program Associate, Community Development
|Job Category:||Policy/Advocacy, Programs/Services|
|Job Sectors:||Community Improvement|
Title: Program Associate, Community Development
Location: 50 East 168th Street, Bronx NY 10452
Reports to: Vice President, Community Development
The Women’s Housing and Economic Development Corporation (WHEDco) is a community development organization founded on the radically simple idea that all people deserve healthy, vibrant communities. We build award-winning, sustainable, affordable homes – but our work is not over when our buildings are complete. WHEDco believes that to be successful, affordable housing must be anchored in strong communities that residents can be proud of. WHEDco’s mission is to give the South Bronx access to all the resources that create thriving neighborhoods – from high-quality early education and after-school programs, to fresh, healthy food, cultural programming, and economic opportunity. See www.whedco.org for more information.
WHEDco seeks an innovative Program Associate to join its Community Development Department. The Community Development Department engages in neighborhood planning, commercial revitalization, expansion of green, mixed-use developments, and creative place-affirming initiatives to build exciting, innovative spaces and communities where people, arts, and the economy thrive.
The Program Associate will support WHEDco’s efforts around neighborhood revitalization in the South Bronx communities surrounding WHEDco’s buildings in close collaboration with program managers. Primary responsibilities include:
• Event Coordination: Help administer and coordinate special events and activities with other departments and in the broader community to engage and empower local residents and other stakeholders. Focus areas are: community safety, economic opportunity, access to the arts, health, local history and culture, education, and youth. Organize, compile and/or produce project materials for meetings, workshops, presentations, site visits and community outreach.
• Administrative and Fiscal: Process and manage payment requests. Keep track of program and office supplies. Place orders and coordinate with vendors. Support data collection and entry. Help streamline photo and video archives. Support scheduling and special projects.
• Community Engagement and Advocacy: Help conduct street outreach, tabling at events, social media/web updates and other outreach to assess local needs and connect community members to helpful resources and activities. Attend community meetings and build strong relationships.
• Associate degree required, Bachelor’s degree preferred.
• Strong interest in two or more of the following areas: administration, event planning, community economic development, social justice, community organizing, arts and culture, health, or real estate.
• Skilled in MS Office required. Graphic design, web development or social media skills a plus.
• Detail oriented and organized with an ability to stay on top of projects, meet deadlines, and follow-up and follow-through with multiple people and tasks
• Able to follow direction, seek guidance when needed, and then complete work independently
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Motivated, creative, and resourceful self-starter who takes initiative
• Collaborative team player with sense of humor, excellent interpersonal skills, and good judgment.
• Ability to work efficiently and effectively in a collegial and fast-paced environment
• Committed to engaging diverse constituents in underserved communities.
• Willingness and ability to go out into the surrounding communities to visit and engage with residents, businesses and other constituents, which may require climbing stairs and using public transit.
• Familiarity with Bronx neighborhoods preferred.
• Available for events and/or meetings in the evening and on weekends, as necessary.
• Proficiency in Spanish strongly preferred. French, Arabic, Asian and/or African languages a plus.
Excellent benefits and competitive salary based on experience.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to [email protected]
WHEDco affords all qualified applicants equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, creed (religion), color, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, age, disability, predisposing genetic characteristic, marital status or domestic violence victim status, or any other category protected by law. WHEDco follows the requirements of the New York Human Rights Law with regard to non-discrimination on the basis of prior criminal conviction and prior arrest.
Building a Greater Bronx
- 50 East 168th Street
- Bronx, New York 10452
- United States
- Phone: 7188391100
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com