Director of Development
Volunteers of Legal Service (VOLS) Seeks Director of Development
Job Title: Director of Development
We are looking for a creative, energetic, compassionate and experienced leader for our development function. Reporting to and in partnership with the Executive Director (ED), the Development Director (Director) will spearhead development efforts as Volunteers of Legal Service (VOLS) continues to grow. As this is a new position in the organization, the Director will have the opportunity to build the development function. Organization: Volunteers of Legal Service (VOLS)
Founded in 1984, VOLS leverages the good will, resources and talents of New York City’s leading law firms and in-house legal departments to provide pro bono legal assistance to low income New Yorkers, through projects that focus on immigrant youth, children, the elderly, incarcerated mothers, the unemployed and small business owners. VOLS was founded almost 35 years ago, when leaders of the NYC Bar were concerned about cuts to legal services, and the resulting loss of legal assistance to low-income individuals and communities. The many law firms represented on our board agreed to help bridge the gap by providing their services pro bono. We have played a vital role in providing access to justice, now through the commitment of 12 staff, which includes 9 attorneys, two AmeriCorps VISTAs, law school interns, and hundreds of dedicated volunteers. Our four Project Directors are experts in their fields, and are sought after speakers and presenters.
VOLS’ 1.9 million dollar budget is supported by foundations, law firms, government grants, corporations and individuals. VOLS enjoys strong, longstanding relationships with its funding partners, but seeks new funders for expansion and new initiatives. In the past, funds have largely been raised as a result of the efforts of the Executive, Associate, and Project Directors, and the Board, with the VOLS staff researching, writing and reporting on grants.
- Develop and execute VOLS annual fundraising plan
- Secure financial support from individuals, foundations, government, law firms and corporations
- Grant research and writing
- Oversee staff responsible for data entry, analysis and reporting
- Develop and maintain ongoing relationships with major donors
- Work with board of directors on fundraising strategy
- Create and execute a strategy for a large sustained base of annual individual, law firm and corporate donors
- Write correspondence, fundraising appeals and updates for donors
- Oversee special events, including Gala and volunteer recognition events
- Track proposals and reports for all grants
- Work with project directors to develop project specific proposals
- Assist with development of proposal budgets
- Maximize use of new donor database to manage relationships and communications with donors, and track fundraising metrics.
- BA (required), MA (a plus)
- Five-plus years experience in development, sales or related field
- Experience with nonprofit fundraising, especially legal services focused
- Strong writing skills
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational, managerial, and communication skills
- Proactive and a self-starter
- Intellectual curiosity and interest in learning about VOLS core issues
- Experienced user of a fundraising data base
- Interest and experience in developing fundraising systems and building a development department.
Salary will be competitive and will depend on experience.
VOLS offers an excellent benefits package, including health, life, and disability insurance, a retirement plan to which VOLS contributes, and the option to contribute to a 403(b) plan.
We also provide 25 days of paid vacation and 12 days of paid sick leave annually.
How to Apply:
Send a resume, cover letter, and list of two references to [email protected], with subject line: “Director of Development.” No phone calls please. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
VOLS is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, sex, religion, or any other prohibited category.
Volunteers of Legal Service
- 40 Worth Street, Suite 820
- New York, NY 10013
- United States
- Phone: 2129664400
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org