PHI’s Staff Accountant is responsible for supporting the Finance Department in creating accurate and timely nonprofit financial records for the organization. This position entails a variety of accounting duties related to maintaining accounts payable and payroll, monitoring general ledger accounts, evaluating and resolving accounting issues, and supporting related process improvement and controls initiatives. The Staff Accountant works closely with the Senior Accountant and Chief Financial Officer to meet the fiscal reporting needs of the organization.
• Ensure accuracy of accounts payable and payroll data through accurate posting, review, and reconciliation of subsidiary ledgers; prepare and post journal entries including payroll and related allocations.
• Manage the payroll process including ensuring compliance with federal, state, and city regulations.
• Confirm submission of payroll taxes by payroll provider to respective federal, state, and city agencies and process all third-party payments.
• Verify and process all payroll, benefit, and related liabilities received from the Human Resources department and provide information to the Human Resources department for reporting.
• Review, reconcile, and process employee expense reimbursements and corporate credit card transactions ensuring compliance with internal and external guidelines and policies.
• Calculate and record month-end expense prepayments and accruals and complete monthly analysis of related general ledger accounts.
• Maintain consultant schedules and accurately track independent consultant expenses for 1099 preparation and reporting.
• Support the accounts receivable process.
• Prepare and post entries for deposits, bank charges, adjustments, and journal entries.
• Maintain thorough and accurate files in accordance with accounting practices.
• Perform account analysis and reconciliation; adjust account discrepancies and prepare schedules.
• Communicate with employees, clients, and vendors to resolve issues.
• Support the month- and year-end close processes and produce required reports and schedules in a timely manner for the annual audit.
• Assist in the overall mission of PHI by working in a team environment to complete special projects as assigned.
• Associate’s degree in Accounting/Finance is required, Bachelor’s degree preferred.
• Three years’ experience in Accounting or Finance with experience in nonprofit accounting.
• Experience with nonprofit and fund accounting software; Intacct preferred, as well as related software including Nexonia and Microsoft Office Suite applications.
• Sound understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
• Experience with ADP Workforce Now and multi-state payroll is required.
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively with diverse groups.
• Excellent organizational and solid communication skills.
• Organized, thorough, and detail-oriented work style.
The position reports to PHI’s Chief Financial Officer.
INTRODUCTION TO PHI
PHI (the Paraprofessional Healthcare Institute) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization working to ensure quality care for older adults and people living with disabilities by creating quality jobs for direct care workers—the home health aides, personal care aides, and nursing assistants providing care for millions across the U.S. We believe that caregiving relationships work best when direct care staff receive high-quality training, living wages, and respect for the central role they play in the health care system and in the lives of clients and families. PHI draws on 25 years of experience working side-by-side direct care workers and care recipients in order to offer employers, policymakers, and other key stakeholders the tools needed to ensure quality care and quality jobs.
Located at 400 E. Fordham Road in the Bronx, PHI’s headquarters offer panoramic city views in the heart of a community we serve. We are 20 minutes from Grand Central Terminal on the Metro North Railroad and accessible via subway (B/D/4 lines) and bus. On-site parking is available. PHI is committed to a workplace culture of collaboration and respect.
To apply, email a cover letter with your résumé to [email protected] Please indicate “Staff Accountant” in the subject line.
Application deadline: March 22, 2019.
The position is full-time, with competitive salary and benefits.
PHI is committed to ensuring a diverse staff. We do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, religion, creed, ethnicity, class, age, sexual orientation, or disability.
- 400 E. Fordham Road
- Bronx, NY 10458
- Phone: 718928-2078
To apply for this job email your details to info@PHInational.org