Director of Finance
The Director of Finance has responsibility for defining the organization’s objectives, strategy, planning and operations with respect to the use of financial resources. The Director oversees and supervises its financial management, cash and investment management, financial and donor reporting, accounting, auditing, budgeting, grants and contracts, and procurement functions. The Director ensures AVAC’s compliance with the organization’s by-laws, policies and procedures, public and private donor regulations, and pertinent U.S. and overseas country laws and regulations.
Candidates should have experience managing a multi-million-dollar, not-for-profit organizational budget; exceptional communication and inter-personal skills; proven senior supervisory capabilities; be a “hands-on” problem solver with a strong service orientation; and be able to motivate staff.
As a member of the Senior Management Team, the Director reports to the Chief Operations Officer, works closely with senior management members and the board of directors. The Director supervises the Finance, SubGrants & Contracts team. This position is based in AVAC’s New York office.
Financial Management and Accounting
· Direct cash flow, investments, asset management and ensure availability of funds.
· Ensure timeliness and accuracy of financial statements.
· Ensure legal and regulatory compliance regarding all financial functions.
· Ensure that all financial audits and tax returns are completed in a timely manner, that AVAC quickly responds to all findings and questioned costs, and that necessary actions are taken throughout the year to ensure clean audits and the highest standards of financial accountability and reporting to management, donors and board.
· Ensure accurate and timely submission of all donor financial reports.
· Create, measure and implement a robust financial management/reporting system, including sub-grant management.
· Provide oversight of grants and contract management including budget development, project cash-flow planning, financial monitoring, reporting and compliance with donor regulations.
· Review, update, strengthen and develop policies and procedures for finance, accounting, auditing, grants and contracts, procurement, etc. Ensure that staff are trained in the use and application of all policies and procedures.
· Direct all accounting functions to ensure proper maintenance of system and appropriate internal controls.
· Manage and oversee all financial systems ensuring accurate, high-quality and timely data.
· Work with staff and management team to devise regular system for analyzing and assessing monthly project progress and expenditures, including review of pipelines, budgets and cash flows.
· Work closely and transparently with all external partners including audit firm, banking institutions, financial and other consultants, as well as vendors.
· Work in close coordination with Board Treasurer, COO and Executive Director to ensure preparation of high-quality financial reports for board meetings on finance, budget, audit and other related issues.
· Facilitate the annual budget planning process.
· Supervise preparation of annual organizational budget, including all program and management cost center budgets; closely monitoring their implementation, ensuring sufficient indirect cost recovery to cover operational costs.
· Oversee and support budget preparation for new grant applications and proposals.
· Ensure regular project-by-project expenditure reviews by program managers and senior management team.
· Provide financial inputs into AVAC strategy formulation, planning, program development, staffing, recruitment, compliance monitoring and overall governance and Board–donor relations.
· Develop financial business plans and forecasts; analyze program effectiveness and model growth projections.
· In conjunction with the COO and Executive Director, facilitate strategic planning process.
· Work with the COO and Executive Director to ensure clarity around long-term funding requirements.
· Closely coordinate with and provide strategic input into human resources, office management and procurement issues and initiatives that have financial and budgetary implications such as changes to employee benefits, compensation scales, leases of office space, insurance coverage, and others agreements and services that may be under consideration.
· Collaborate with COO and Senior Finance Manager in planning and establishing operational procedures, systems and policies, training and implementation.
· Oversee compliance function and ensure organization is meeting all necessary donor and legal requirements.
· Risk Management: work with the COO, Executive Director and Board to identify and minimize exposure to risk.
· Review administrative and financial processes and strengthen the overall administrative systems.
· Assess organizational requirements and conducts costs analysis in the area of accounting systems, office leases, and all employee benefits, including health/dental insurance and 401k/payroll processing.
· Participate in management meetings; collaborate in the development of creative solutions to improve efficiency and effectiveness of the organization’s operations.
As a prerequisite, the successful candidate must believe in the core values of AVAC and be driven by its mission. The candidate should demonstrate a passion for breaking new ground to lead social change. Beyond that, we are seeking a candidate who has proven experience in managing fiscal systems of diversely funded organizations, preferably in a non-profit organization, is a motivated self-starter and who thrives in a fast-paced environment.
· Advanced degree in business administration, management, finance, accounting, or related field.
· At least 15 years of experience directing international NGO operations and improving nonprofit management systems in NGOs with an annual operating budget of at least $15 million per year.
· Knowledge of international NGO governance, organization, management, staffing, accountability, compliance, and international NGO standards and regulations.
· Experience with international development programs, USAID and other donor grants, and implementation systems for field projects funded by USAID, international agencies, and foundations.
· Strong analytic capabilities, especially in financial management, contracting and procurement.
· Entrepreneurial orientation, able to move smoothly into a number of different areas to ensure that timely actions are being completed, helping directors think through options and alternatives, while quickly resolving problems.
· Demonstrated ability to develop and manage complex systems and projects and build high-performing teams to implement them with a staff of diverse backgrounds, skills and technical ability; and ability to work effectively with a variety of stakeholders.
· Capacity to work independently, prioritizing workflow to meet deadlines while paying exceptional close attention to details, bringing value-added to management and program systems in a growing international NGO.
· Strong service orientation and ability to develop systems and procedures that support program managers that nurture a positive, collegial working environment and generate creativity and innovation in grant applications, development projects and responses to urgent needs.
· Knowledge and experience developing and managing systems for reporting on project budget execution, preparing proposals to finalize U.S. Federal Government Negotiated Indirect Cost Rate Agreement (NICRA), managing and responding to A-133 audits, ensuring compliance and reporting on USAID grants, contracts and donor agreements.
· Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills, able to make clear concise presentations.
· Demonstrated ability to inspire confidence and work in highly collegial manner across entire organization.
· Exceptional work ethic; constructive, positive, “can-do” attitude, well focused, with strong service orientation.
· Effective in building consensus across the organization and partners.
· Highest integrity, diplomatic and analytical, with exceptionally mature judgment and ability to mentor other staff.
· Experience with Abila finance and accounting software packages and Microsoft Office Suite.
This person will directly manage the finance team; oversee a growing portfolio sub-grants management; and participate as a leading member of the senior management team.
Salary and Benefits
AVAC offers highly-competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package.
How to Apply
Please submit cover letter and resume as a single PDF file to [email protected] No phone calls, please.
- 423 W 127th St Fl 4
- New York, NY 10027
- Phone: 212.796.6423
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com